Monday, January 3, 2011

On This Day: January 3

My parents, Jasper Jackson Spurlock and Beaulah Belle Yawman, were married in Yuma County, Arizona. I think. I am embarrassed to admit that I do not yet have a copy of their marriage certificate. Lots of excuses for that, but no good reason….

Family tradition is that my parents were concerned that family back in Texas would think it inappropriate that they married so soon after the death of Dad’s first wife, Mattie Lee (McBride) Spurlock on 4 December 1952.  In her scrapbook, my grandmother, Mamie Olive (Martindale) Spurlock, recorded their marriage as 3 March 1953.

From his first marriage, my dad had a daughter–Jane. My mother had three children–daughter Deanna and sons Arny and Tony. I was the first child born to their union and my sister Jennifer was born four years after me.

The earliest picture of my parents that has been scanned is this one taken in Tijuana in 1954 (left to right: Dad, me, Mom (in front), Dale Chaney, Jane Spurlock Chaney, Gary Hutchcraft, and Deanna Sherrell Hutchcraft:



© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment