Friday, August 19, 2011

Friend of Friends Friday - Will of Thomas Cook 1791

This week I have transcribed the 1791 will of Thomas Cook of Iredell County, North Carolina. I believe this is the father of the Thomas Cook whose will was presented in an earlier post found here.


In the name of God Amen.
                        Novr the 9th 1791
I. Thomas Cook in the County of Ardill and State of North Carol-
ina, yeo man, being wake in Body, but of perfect mind & memory, tha-
nks be to God for it, caling to mind, the mortality of my body, that
it is appointed for all men once to die, do make and order this
my last will and testament that is to say, principly, and first of
all, I give and recommend, my soul into the hands of God that give it
and for my Body I recommend to the Earth, to be buired in a Christian
like menor, at the Discretion of my Exrs.  nothing doubting, but at the
general reserection I shall receive the same again by the mighty
power of God, _ _ _ _ _ And as touching such worldly State
as it hath pleased God to bliss me with in this Life, I Give, Devise, and
Dispose of in the following mennor and form.
Imprimise._ It is my will, and I do order it, that all my Just debts and fun
eral charges be payed, and sattesfied.
Itim. I do Leave and bequeath to my oldest son James Cook five Shillings
and to my four Daughters viz Margrit McNight, Jean McConnel,
Mary Huey, and Elisabeth Neelson, each of them five shillings
it is my will and I do order it, that my son Alexr. Cook have my crosscute
saw. It is my will and I do order it, that my son William Cook, keep and hold
the Negor Boy that he have received from me, called Peet, and all other
things he has received from me beside. I do further order that my said son
William Cook, have a fifth part of the household furneture, or the value
thereof, [several words crossed out], and also the fifth part of the hog's and sheep
and Likewise two cows and calves.
It is my will and I order it that my son Thomas Cook get ten pounds or
the value thereof.
Itim. It is my will and I do order it, that my well beloved wife, Margrit Cook,
get a negor wench called Keat, and a negor boy called Bob. and the half
of all moveables, exclusive of what is left to my son William thereof,
and also to have the fifth part of what grain is raised on the plantation
and her choice or [?] of any rooms in the house for her use during
her Life, or widowhood, and to be at her desposal at her Death.
itim. It is my will and I order it, that my youngest son Joseph Cook, do have
and Enjoy the plantation I now Live upon, and to have a Negor man
called Jack, and another Negor Boy called Ceasor, and the other half of
the remaining movables, and household furneture.
And I do nominate constitute and appoint my two sons viz William
and Joseph Cook, sole Exrs of this my Last will and testament, in
witness heare of I have set my hand and seal the Day and year above
written, signed sealed published and Decleared by the said
Thomas Cook as his Last Will and Testment, in the presence
of us. the Subscribers.
                                                Thos. Cooke (seal)
 
Thos. Bocitey Jurat
Alexander Hughes
Wm. Terrence Jur.

Source: Iredell County, North Carolina, Wills, 1, 85, Thomas Cook, 1791,
FHL microfilm 1571950, Original wills Beaver, Moses - Kilpatrick, Andrew;
Family History Library, Salt Lake City.


© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment