Friday, August 26, 2011

Friend of Friends Friday - Will of Margaret Cooke 1802

Last week I posted the transcription and images of the 1791 will of Thomas Cooke of Iredell County, North Carolina. This week I am posting the transcription and images of the will of his wife, Margaret, written in 1802.

In the Name of God Amen I Margret Cooke
of Iredell County State of North Carolina_ being
of sound and perfect mind and Memory (Blessed be God
for all his mercies both special and common).
Do this 6th day of October in the Year of our Lord 1802
make and publish this my last Will and Testament
in the manerer following 1st I commit my soul
to God who made and I trust who has redeemed the
same, and then I will that my Body be interred
in a decent and becoming manner at the discretion
of the persons appointed to execute this my last Will
and Testament and I also declare that it is my
will that all my Just and lawful debts be honor-
ably and honestly discharged out of my Estate
And as for the remaining part of that property
wherewith God in his providence has endowed me
I dispose of in the following manner, and do by
this my last will order it to be so disposed of_
I bequeath unto my Daughter Jean McConnel my
Nigroe Woman Cate_
2d and to my Daughter Elizabeth Nelson one [?]
3rd and to my Daughter Mary Huey my Bed and side saddle
and my wearing Cloathes to be equally divided between
these my three Daughters_ _ _
And with respect to the residue of my property it is my
will that an equal division of the same be made among
my children, Hugh McKnight, James Cooke, Alexander
Cooke, Thomas Cooke, Joseph Cooke, John McConnel_
Henry Huey, Joshua Nelson, each to have an equal dividend
of the same _ _ _
And I hereby make and ordain my worthy friends
Hugh McKnight Senr  and Henry Huey Executors of this my
last Will and Testament, In witness whereof I the
said Margaret Cooke Senr  have to this my last will and Testa-
ment set my hand and seal the day and year above-
mentioned _ _ _       Margaret her  Cooke
                                           mark

Test.
Wm. McKnight [?]
James McKnight



[Source: Iredell County, North Carolina, Will Book 1, page 86, will 56, Margaret Cooke 1802, FHL microfilm 1571950, Original wills Beaver, Moses - Kilpatrick, Andrew; Family History Library, Salt Lake City.]


© 2011 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment