Saturday, July 28, 2012

2012 SNGF Genealympics - The Flag of Me

In the spirit of the 2012 Olympics just starting in London, Randy Seaver of Genea-Musings has announced the 2012 SNGF (Saturday Night Genealogy Fun) Genealympics! For more on the events, click here.

For my first event, I chose flag creation. Here is the Flag of Me!


I am proud to be an American and to display my home country's flag across the top; my most recent immigrant ancestor came to the United States in 1832 so this has been our home for a long time!

The country flags across the bottom represent my heritage, discovered either through research or through analysis of my DNA:

  • United Kingdom - original home of James Chilton, my Mayflower ancestor (maternal)
  • Ireland - a DNA clue, suspected to be from my paternal Caskey ancestors (paternal)
  • Finland - a DNA clue, suspected to be from the unidentified wife of Thomas Gandy, Jr. (maternal)
  • Iceland - a DNA clue, not sure about this one
  • Norway - another DNA clue, not sure about this one either
  • France - my most recent immigrant ancestor Andrew Yawman came from Alsace-Lorraine (maternal); although the family considered themselves German, when Andrew naturalized, he denounced his allegiance to the King of France
  • Wales - ancestral home of my Eaton ancestors (paternal)

I haven't yet chosen my second Genealympics event - stay tuned!


© 2012 Denise Spurlock

No comments:

Post a Comment