For my first event, I chose flag creation. Here is the Flag of Me!
I am proud to be an American and to display my home country's flag across the top; my most recent immigrant ancestor came to the United States in 1832 so this has been our home for a long time!
The country flags across the bottom represent my heritage, discovered either through research or through analysis of my DNA:
- United Kingdom - original home of James Chilton, my Mayflower ancestor (maternal)
- Ireland - a DNA clue, suspected to be from my paternal Caskey ancestors (paternal)
- Finland - a DNA clue, suspected to be from the unidentified wife of Thomas Gandy, Jr. (maternal)
- Iceland - a DNA clue, not sure about this one
- Norway - another DNA clue, not sure about this one either
- France - my most recent immigrant ancestor Andrew Yawman came from Alsace-Lorraine (maternal); although the family considered themselves German, when Andrew naturalized, he denounced his allegiance to the King of France
- Wales - ancestral home of my Eaton ancestors (paternal)
I haven't yet chosen my second Genealympics event - stay tuned!
© 2012 Denise Spurlock